Sunday, November 29, 2009

Chapter 3

Just finished through the tutorial chapter of Mastering Unreal Technology, Volume 1. Only had one hiccup when I adding a door animation. The book failed to tell me to select the door before creating the movement group in Matinee (pg 98). It wanted to move the trigger (cause that was what I had selected when the group was created) which didn't make sense. However, YouTube came to my rescue with some video tutorials on the UDK. The crucial piece of info was in there.

Some notes about my time today. UnrealEd seems a lot more stable this version than for v2. Have not seen a crash at all. I can pop in and out of the level to play test. I do wish I had a second monitor. The generic browser, where you find any kind of object to be placed in a level, needs to be open almost all the time and it sits on top of everything. My single monitor makes me shift the browser back and forth. That's not a big problem now while I'm learning but it will almost be required for those who are good.

So I have a high level understanding of what's going on. There are tons of properties that can be changed in almost every object type. You are probably only limited to your imagination.

I'll be getting into chapter 4, all I wanted to know about brushes. More theory than exercises. Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment